Pages

Friday 20 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey - Week 1 - Day 5 - Activity 1

Activity 1: National Treasure [4 points]
Sophie Pascoe is a New Zealand para-swimmer. This means she is a competitive swimmer with a physical disability. Very sadly, Sophie was run over by a lawn mower when she was only 2 years old. She had to have the bottom of her left leg amputated. However, despite this terrible accident, she was determined to become a competitive swimmer.
Sophie has won numerous New Zealand and world para-swimming titles, including nine Olympic gold medals. She has also won the Halberg Award for Disabled Sportsperson of the Year three times. Sophie is a great example of a New Zealander who did not let her disability stop her from achieving her dreams. She is truly a National Treasure’. A national treasure is someone or something that is very important to a country.
I treasure my family and friends because they always push me and encourage me to do my best and keep trying. They also help me when I'm in trouble!

1 comment:

  1. Ata Mārie Christopher.

    My name is Kueni and I am one of the blog commenters for the summer learning journey. I am from the ako hiko cluster and thought i'd pop over to your blog this morning.

    Thank you for sharing with us today things in your life that you treasure. I really like that you have mentioned your friends and family as people that you treasure, I think that is so important, I can tell that they are very special people to you.

    Thank you also for sharing more information with us today about Sophie Pascoe, I think it will really encourage your readers to go and learn a little bit more about her as well, so ka pai!

    Have a lovely Thursday morning,
    Ka pai te ra!

    Kueni :)

    ReplyDelete