Pages

Tuesday 18 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 1 Day 2

Activity 1: Giants Among Us [4 points]

On your blog, tell us whether you would like to go and visit Tāne Mahuta one day. Be sure to tell us why you do (or do not) want to visit this endemic tree.
I would love to visit Tane Mahuta one day because I want to see how big it is in person. I also want to see it because I want to see how tall it is compared to other trees in the forest. The final reason why I want to see Tane Mahuta is that I want to compare it with the sky tower and see which is bigger.

Activity 2: Fabulous Ferns [4 points]

On your blog list three sports teams that have the word ‘fern’ in their title. Beside each team’s name, post a picture of their uniform. Then, at the bottom of your blog post tell us which of the three uniforms you like best and why.

1. Black Ferns
2. Silver Ferns
3. Football Ferns

Black Ferns Uniform: Image result for black ferns uniform
Silver Ferns Uniform:  Image result for Silver ferns uniform
Football Ferns Uniform: Image result for Football Ferns uniform

1. I like Black Ferns uniform the most because their uniform matches their name.
2. I like Silver Ferns uniform the second most because the fern on their shirt is fern and it matches their name.
3. I like Football Ferns uniform the third most because their uniform doesn't suit their name but the others do.

Activity 3: Weird and Wonderful [10 points]
New Zealand is just one of many countries that has amazing plants and trees. In fact, the African desert is home to some pretty incredible plants, like the cactus. Some cacti are able to survive on as little as 3 millilitres (ml) of water a day. Wow!
Let’s imagine that you are given a cactus for your birthday. To keep it alive, you must give it 3 ml of water every day.
Over one full year, how much water will you need to give your cactus plant?
On your blog, tell us how to solve this math problem. You can write your answer in words, use a Sketchpad image, or post a video explaining how you would figure it out. Be sure to give us your final answer in millilitres (ml).
The answer is 1095ml. How I got the answer was I figured out how many days are in a year after that I timed 3 with 3 and it equals 9 but I added two zeros at the end of the 9 because it was 300 to make it 900. After that, I timed 3 with 6 and it equalled 18 but I added a zero at the end because it was 60. After that, I timed 3 with 5 and it equalled 15 after that I added all of them together and it equalled 1095ml.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Christopher,
    That is great that you are keeping up with blogging. I agree with you about the silver ferns uniform, It looks cool with the fern on it.
    You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and you are doing a fantastic job as well!

      Delete
  2. Hey Christopher,
    I like your reason of why you want to go visit Tane Mahuta and I also like what you are comparing Tane Mahuta to. Keep up the amazing work!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Dianne,
      Thank you for commenting on my blog, I apprciate it and you keep up the good work too.

      Best Wishes
      From
      Christopher

      Delete
  3. Kia Ora Christopher,

    What a great set of activities! I can tell that you have thought really hard about your answers, I'm really impressed.
    I like your logic about which Uniform you like bet, second, and least.
    Apart from the Uniforms, which of the teams do you like best? What is your favourite sport? I like the Black Ferns team the best, but my favourite sport is cricket.

    Well done on solving, and showing how you solved the maths problem. Do you like maths?


    This is a great day's work, Christopher. I look forward to reading more.
    - Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      I like the Black Ferns team the best because they play rugby and rugby is my favourite sport. Also I love maths because it is fun and also because I am good at it.

      Best Wishes
      From
      Christopher

      Delete
  4. Thanks Christopher. Great to hear you like maths, I like teaching maths!

    Keep up the good work
    - Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you and have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Hi Christopher,
    Great work completing this activity! I don't think Tane Mahuta is nearly as tall as the Sky Tower, but it would certainly tower above the other trees that have only been around for a few decades. It was also great to see how you broke the math problem into three parts so it was easy to solve. Is that your normal strategy when it comes to math?

    ReplyDelete