Pages

Monday 16 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey - Week 1 - Day 1 - Activity 1

DAY 1: EXPLORERS


Activity 1: Setting Sail [4 points]
People from Pacific nations have always been expert explorers and navigators. In the past, they used the stars, sun and ocean swells to find their way (navigate) around the Pacific Ocean. Master navigator, Nainoa Thompson, has used the ancient Polynesian wayfinding skills to navigate around the world. In 2013, Nainoa led a crew across the Pacific Ocean on two large canoes (Hokule’a and Hikianalia). The crew stopped off in Aotearoa, New Zealand in 2015 on their journey and visited the Manaiakalani Schools in Auckland.
Here is a short video about Polynesian navigation. It describes the different ways ancient Polynesian navigators used the natural world to find their way around vast oceans. Incredible!
I think that it would be difficult to be ‘at sea’ for weeks at a time. I would miss my family but I would also enjoy the adventure. Let’s imagine that you were invited to join Nainoa for three weeks at sea. As part of the journey, you have to pack your own food.
1. I would take water because you can't survive without water.
2. I will take vegetables to keep healthy.
3. I will fast food because I will enjoy it.
4. I will take gum to keep my breath fresh.
5. I will take fruits because it is delicious and healthy.
6. I will take cooked meat to keep me strong.
7. I will take canned/wrapped food because it will stay good for a long period of time.
8. I will take an impossible burger because it is delicious and healthy at the same time.
9. I will take bread and spreads for it.
10. I will take sushi because it is delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Christoper,

    I’m Dani, one of the blog commenters for the Kaikohekohe cluster for the Summer Learning Journey. I have heard some great things about the learners in the Manaiakalani cluster so I thought I would jump on and check out some blog posts!

    Wow! you have been very busy completing Summer Learning Journey activities. Well done for almost finishing! Yum, its sounds like you have some yummy things that you are taking with you on your sea journey. I’m not sure how you would go on a longer sea journey though. I think the meat and fast food would go off! But water is an awesome idea because you can’t drink sea water so you would get very thirsty very quickly! If you wanted a source of meat maybe eating fish would be a good idea.Fish would be awesome to eat everyday, maybe bringing fishing gear would be a great way to have fresh fish everyday!

    Keep up the awesome work!

    Blog ya later,

    Dani

    ReplyDelete