Pages

Monday 16 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey - Week 1 - Day 1 - Activity 2

Activity 2: Discovering Aotearoa [4 points]
Many people believe that Kupe was the first explorer to discover Aotearoa, New Zealand in about 1300. He navigated his way by waka to Aotearoa from Hawaiki using traditional Polynesian navigation techniques - just like Nainoa Thompson (from Activity 1) did much later on. Legend says that he followed a great octopus all the way to Aotearoa/New Zealand and finally destroyed it in Cook Strait (the water between the North and South Islands).
Many years later, a Dutch explorer from The NetherlandsAbel Tasman, was exploring the Pacific Ocean when he came across New Zealand. He thought that he was the first person to ‘discover’ the country (despite the fact that Māori already lived in New Zealand!) and made the claim in 1642 that he had ‘discovered’ a new land. His exploration of New Zealand inspired many other European explorers to follow his lead and travel to the Oceania.
Kupe and Abel Tasman were two different men from two very different backgrounds (cultures) who shared a common interest - exploration.
My parents are from tonga but they migrated to New Zealand to live a better life. But me and my siblings were made here in New Zealand

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Chris

    Happy Monday! It is lovely to meet you. Im a blog commenter for the Summer Learning journey, in fact It’s my second year doing this! I have just completed my degree in teaching. If you want to learn more about me check out my blog!

    You have made a great start to your summer blogging, you should be very proud! That is awesome that your parents are from Tonga. I’ve heard it’s a beautiful country filled with sandy beaches, blue skies and lovely people. Have you been to visit ever?

    I can’t wait to read more of your blogs Chris, you are doing a great job!

    Nga mihi,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Georgia,
      Its me Christopher.
      Thank you and I have visited Tonga but I don't remember because I was only 1 when I went there!

      Malo Aupito
      Christopher

      Delete
    2. Morena Christopher,

      That's awesome that you have visited Tonga when you were little, even if you can't quite remember it. If you were to go to Tonga again, what would you look forward to seeing? For me I would love to see some sea animals. I wonder if they have turtles?

      Keep up the great mahi!

      Nga mihi,
      Georgia

      Delete