Pages

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 Day 3

Day 3: The Great Depression (The 1930s)

Unfortunately, the wealth and success of the 1920s did not continue into the 1930s. Instead, the stock market in America crashed on Tuesday 29 October 1929. When this happened, people lost a lot of money and much of the world sunk into a deep, financial depression. The 1930s is often referred to as the ‘Great Depression.’


Activity 1: Dealing with Stress
In New Zealand, many people lost their jobs during this decade. Experts predict that as much as 30% of the population was unemployed. It was a very stressful time for families.

Sadly, many of us still experience stress in our lives to this day. When I feel stressed I try to go for a walk or pop into my local gym for a quick workout. Exercise makes me feel better. What about you?

On your blog, please tell us what you do when you want to relax or de-stress. Do you read a favourite book, watch a favourite television show or talk to someone special?  What are your tips for dealing with stress?
What makes me relax is eating McDonalds because once one of my cousins dog died and I was so sad and I has McDonalds that day and I was happy.



Activity 2: Offering a Helping Hand
During this period, people struggled to find work both here at home and overseas. It was a really tough time for people living in the Great Plains of the United States because they were hit with a huge drought that lasted for most of the decade. Many crops were damaged and farmers were not able to make enough money to feed their families.

Imagine that you were alive in the 1930s. What could you have done to help these families? On your blog, list three different ways that you could raise funds for families to help them buy food and clothing. Be as creative as you can with your fundraising ideas!

1. I will start a company and I will help people who don't have a job and the homeless.
2. When I have food and I am full I will give it to the homeless.
3. I will take homeless people to like restaurants.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Christopher, it's awesome to see that you've completed another two activities. I hope you continue to blog throughout the summer!

    Thank you for sharing your method of relieving stress. I also find eating McDonalds comforting. I really like reading a book, going for a run, watching a movie or simply getting out of the house. I find these are successful ways of making myself feel better. It's basically any way that will distract your mind.

    I've enjoyed reading your three ways of helping others and raising money for people in need. You've thought of some clever ways to feed the homeless and hungry. I was thinking you could organise a sausage sizzle, run a garage sale or a car wash.

    Have you ever been involved with a fundraiser?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christopher,

    Isn't it amazing that I live in Canada and we have the same opportunity that you have to go to a McDonalds and eat the same kind of food that you enjoy. And we're half a world away!

    When my daughter, Rachel, was little my parents used to come and visit us every week and their treat was to take us to McDonald's for lunch because they knew that Rachel and her sister would enjoy that. One of Rachel's favourite foods even now is hamburgers.

    I'm glad that you thought of 3 ways to help people in the event of a disaster like the Depression. Certainly hiring people is an important way of helping - people would rather work for their income than be given food or clothes as charity.

    And taking people out for a meal when they're homeless is also a good way of lending a hand. We have Food Banks in our country - these are places to which people can come when they don't have enough food in their homes for their family. Each month we donate food to the Food Bank to help those in our community who are struggling to get enough to eat. It's very sad that that's the case. Hopefully, some day, we won't have to have Food Banks because everyone will have enough resources to look after themselves...

    I'm glad you're blogging this summer -good for you!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete