Pages

Monday 15 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 1 Day 3

Day 3: It’s All in the Family

Activity 1: The More, the Merrier? victorian family.jpg
In the 1800s, most families were pretty big. In fact, many parents had an average of seven to nine children.  Imagine that you were a child in the 1800s and you had nine siblings.

On your blog, please tell us how you would feel. Would you enjoy being a member of such a large family? Why or why not?

I would enjoy having a huge family because then the more people the more fun and the more older siblings you have and they can protect from people and because I always wanted a huge family.












Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

SAMPLE PEPEHA
Ko ________________________ te maunga    The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko ________________________ te awa          The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko ________________________ te waka The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko ________________________ tōku tīpuna My founding ancestor is…
Ko ________________________ tōku iwi          My tribe is…
Ko ________________________ tōku hapu My sub-tribe is…
Ko ________________________ tōku marae My marae is…
Ko ________________________ ahau I am from…
Ko________ rāua ko ___________ōku mātua  My parents are … and …
90668006.jpg
Ko ________________________ tōku ingoa. My name is …

*affiliate means to associate with, or be close to.

MY PEPEHA
Ko Gatineau te maunga.
Ko Mississippi te awa.
Ko James Telford Stirling tōku tīpuna.
Ko Williamson-Stirling tōku iwi.
Ko Williamson tōku hapū.
Ko Almonte tōku marae.
Ko Almonte, Canada ahau.
Ko Leslie rāua, ko Ron oku mātua.
Ko Rachel tōku ingoa.


When you have completed your pepeha, post it on your blog. You could even post a video of you reading out your pepeha.

Ko Mt Wellington te maunga  
Ko Tamaki River te awa 
Ko New Zealand ahau
Ko Livi rāua ko Salote ōku mātua
Ko Christopher tōku ingoa

1 comment:

  1. Hello again Christopher,

    Well done for completing another two activities! You're on a roll :)

    Activity 1: The More, The Merrier?
    I think that you should be proud of yourself for being so unique Christopher. I have responded to many of these "The More, The Merrier" posts, and I have to tell you that you're the first student who would love to have more siblings.
    I think that it would be such a beautiful experience to have more siblings. When I was growing up I always wanted to play with my brothers, but because I was the youngest (and a girl) they would run off without me. If I had more siblings, there would be room for many more adventures and surely one of them would have wanted to play with me.
    Today however, I must say that I love my siblings the most out of everyone in the entire world!

    How many siblings do you have?

    Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry.

    Kia Ora for completing this activity Christopher. I know that it can be a bit tricky to do this, particularly if you're unsure of what river to associate yourself to, or if you've never been to a marae let alone know which one you're affiliated to.
    But that's the beautiful thing about a pepeha; it grows with you, and the more you learn about yourself, the longer your pepeha becomes.

    Where are your parents from?

    Keep up the great mahi.

    Cheers,

    Jordan.

    ReplyDelete