Pages

Thursday 13 July 2017

Winter Learning Journey Day 6


Activity 1: Let’s imagine that you were on the first waka to arrive at Shag Point. You had never been to New Zealand before and you had no idea what to expect. Write a poem describing how you would have felt when you arrived in New Zealand. Would you have been excited or scared? I would have felt pretty nervous, I reckon…
I will be excited because I like going places I have never been like for example If I go to a new village in Tonga I will be excited.
Activity 2: After visiting Shag Point, you hop back in the van and drive all the way up the east coast of the south island until you reach the town of Picton. You get out of the van and onto the Interislander ferry. It travels back across the Cook Strait to Wellington. Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand and every winter the city hosts a huge Matariki festival to celebrate the Maori New Year. This year part of the festival is being held at Te Papa, a big museum in Wellington.
1.The dancers do a kapa haka.
2.They have a talk its called Maori knowledge and science.
3.They light a camp and they dance in front of it.
Bonus Activity: As part of the Matariki festival, there is a two day Kapa Haka competition. The haka is a traditional war dance that Maori performed before going into battle. The haka is now performed by children/adults in the community and by professional sporting teams, including our national rugby team, the ‘All Blacks.’  The All Blacks have performed various haka over the years. Watch the following three haka videos (1 – 3) and, on your blog, list the haka videos in order from best (#1) to worst (#3). There are no right or wrong answers ☺
1.The I like the best is All blacks when they went up against Argentina because it is short an amazing and not that loud.
2.When the All blacks went up against South Africa because it is kind of noisy but not too loud.
3.The one that I disliked was when they went up against France it was to noisy and I just didn't like it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christopher,

    Thank you for sharing your interesting facts from Day 6 activities. Did you find 3 amazing events to explore at the Matariki festival? I am planning to visit the festival with my daughter Shonny, I would love it if you could give me more information.

    I noticed you mentioned that when you visit new villages in Tonga, you feel excited right? Let's say you were arriving to New Zealand for the first time, how would you express your experience? There is a link about Shag point you could read to give you more ideas Christopher. We would love to allocate points to full completion but I ensure you that you have plenty time to complete this.

    I can't wait to read more of your interesting facts soon.

    Goodluck,

    Jacinta

    ReplyDelete