Pages

Wednesday 15 January 2020

Summer Learning - Week 4 - Day 5

DAY 5: DANCING QUEENS

Activity 1: The World of Hip Hop [4 points]
Parris Goebel has taken over the world of dance! You might already have heard of her as she is pretty famous in New Zealand and around the world.
Parris was born in Manurewa, South Auckland, and she is of Samoan/Chinese/Scottish descent. Parris loved dancing when she was very little and she began hip-hop lessons when she was 10. By the age of 15 she was so good that she started her own all-girl dance crew called ReQuest, and they went on to win several first places at the World Hip-Hop Championships.
Parris later started The Palace Dance Studio in Auckland, and formed five more dance crews that won competitions worldwide. She has also worked as a choreographer for famous musicians like Justin Beiber, Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, and Janet Jackson. In 2019, Parris and her new dance crew, The Royal Family, won the World Hip Hop Dance Championship.
I couldn't watch the video but judging from what it said "award-winning dance." I think they did great and I don't think they did any mistakes because if they did they probably wouldn't of won.
Activity 2: En Pointe [4 points]
Most successful ballerinas start learning ballet when they are very young - 3 or 4 years old. World famous ballerina, Misty Copeland, wasn’t like most other girls. Instead of starting at age 3, she started ballet lessons at age 13!
By 14, Misty had won a national competition for ballet dancers. She continued to work very hard and, in 2015, she became the first African Amercian principal (lead) dancer of the Amercian Ballet Theatre - this is amazing because there were, and still are, very few African American ballet dancers in the country. When interviewed, Misty has said that she would like people to be able to “see dreams through me”. This is an example of an inspirational quote. Please click on this link to read more inspirational quotes.
Activity 3: Concluding the Journey [6 points]
Sadly, the Summer Learning Journey has now come to an end. It is time to reflect on everything that you have learned this summer about people who have had an impact, or changed the world, in some way.
1. My favourite activity was designing a book because it was about one of my favourite video games.
2. My least favourite activity is where we have to choose a Nobel prize winner because I always like to rush stuff but that activity took forever
3. I learned that doing this helps my progress when I go back to school. I learned that everyone has their own opinion of things. You can only get better at things when you practise.
4. To be consistent.

3 comments:

  1. Mōrena Christopher,

    You did it! You completed all the activities. Ka pai! :)

    I like the quote you chose by Albert Einstein. He is such an awesome human being. What does this quote mean to you? I'd love to know why it stood out to you! :)

    I'm glad you enjoyed working through the Summer Learning Journey. The activities are so much fun. I really enjoyed reading through your blog posts, and I still have more to read through which I'm looking forward to!

    Please keep rechecking your blogs - people will be leaving you comments and I'm sure they'd love to hear back from you. Also, commenting on others who have left questions or comments on your SLJ to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on posting, continuing to participate and completing the SLJ this year. What could you do to be a climate changemaker Christopher? Keep re-checking your blogging and commenting on others and replying to ALL comments on your posts to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christopher.
    It's Lukas.
    It Was great to see you blogging! Well done on completing the SLJ programme! I really like the quote you choose, I couldn't find that one where did you find it? I choose mine from another site. I also liked re disgning my favourite books cover! I Liked all of the activitys but yah that took a while to find an intresting person to study and present about.
    The last activity, your very right and true!
    Great work on completing!

    Kind Regards
    Lukas

    ReplyDelete