Pages

Wednesday 1 January 2020

Summer Learning Jounrey - Week 3 - Day 3 - Activity 2

Activity 2: Printing Prosthetics [4 points]
In 1983 a man named Chuck Hull invented the first 3D printer. A 3D printer follows a design that has been created on a computer. The printer simply ‘prints out’ the design in layers, often using a material like plastic.
3D printing has changed the way we are designing and manufacturing (creating) all sorts of things. It is possible to 3D print parts for machines, buildings and even humans!
If you have ever broken an arm and needed a plaster cast you will know that they’re not much fun to wear - especially in summer! Here in New Zealand, a man named Jake Evill has designed a lighter 3D printed plaster cast that is strong, recyclable, waterproof, and ventilated (let’s air in). Check out his design here.
I have learned that they are doing it for the people who have lost their fingers/hand.
The thing I was surprised at was it is for free.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Christopher,

    Hope you’re enjoying your Summer Holidays! Although the past couple days have been really overcast, windy and cold. I would love to know what you have gotten up to over the past couple weeks. I spent most of my holiday with my friends and family in Mangawhai (1.5 hours north of Auckland).

    I am also surprised that it’s free! I watched the video and I saw that It costs tens of thousands to make personalised prosthetic arms/hands/feet etc. Not only does it cost a lot but children also outgrow these like clothes. It’s hard to imagine living without one of these body parts because we are so used to them. But just try to not use one hand for at least 5 minutes during your day and you can quickly learn the struggles these children go through! For example, I wouldn’t be able to type as fast, in fact im probably 60% slower.

    Keep up the awesome work Christopher!

    Cheers,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete